|Back in 1986 the only brick-and-mortar shop in the world entirely dedicated to J.R.R. Tolkien was founded in Leiden, Holland.
At first it was meant to be the sales department of the Dutch Tolkien Society Unquendor, but very soon Tolkien enthusiast from outside the society noticed that a lot of nice Tolkien material was available from that guy in Leiden (yes, that's the one and only Rene van Rossenberg).
So the shop grew and grew and more and more Tolkien collectors from across the world found the impressive range of items on offer; from the first edition The Hobbit, to handwritten letters, to lots and lots of film merchandise. If it has anything to do with Tolkien, it is available from Tolkienshop.com.
While we get set for the onslaught of The Hobbit movies it is time to celebrate the 25th anniversary with a nice Tolkien festival in the shop in Leiden.
Date: Saturday, October 8th 2011.
Shop opens at 10 -like all Saturdays-, program starts at noon.
Location: The Tolkien Shop, Utrechtse Jaagpad 2 in Leiden, Holland
The program will be of interest to all Tolkien fans:
- Marcel Buelles, founder of the German Tolkien society, will give a talk
- Dutch folk band Anois will give a concert of Tolkien songs
- A concert of harp music
- Presentation of the paint job on the new company van of Tolkienshop.com.
- Master of ceremonies of be the most esteem hobbit Fortinbras Proudfoot, who will entertain us with stories from the Shire, as well as promote his foundation to promote literacy among children
- And of course those present can take advantage of special deals and discount at the store.
I'm very much looking forward to the celebration and will of course be attending! Hope to see many of you there to celebrate 25 years of the only brick-mortar Tolkien shop in the world! A day to mark in your Tolkien Calendar!
Spread the news about this J.R.R. Tolkien article: